«

»

Jun 13

Garden Bench Restoration

This bench project has been in the family for a lot of years!!   I’m not sure where my dad and I got the legs for the garden bench, but knowing us and our thrifting ways, it was probably at a garage sale.  When I left the house without having assembled the bench, my brother, Skylar, had a go at it. When he too didn’t finish, there it sat.

Kelli and I swung through Winfield (my hometown) on one of our trips to Kansas and picked up the pieces; wrought iron legs and the rough cut planks of wood. Since owning our house, Kelli and  I have fell in love with building things, finding broken things (some call it “junk”) and re-purposing to make them our own.  A couple examples of our work are the Ladder Herb Garden, Shutter Card Holder, or Raised Garden.

Once I got the pieces in my hands, it was time to get to work!  Below is the final result.  I hope you enjoy learning about what I did!

Garden Bench Restoration I forgot to take pictures of the sides before I started so I borrowed some off of the ebay classifieds. This is what they looked liked before we did anything to them.  I also didn’t take any pictures of the planks of wood (woops!), but from the picture above you can use your imagination to picture them.  The main difference from above was that they were all either halfway painted or had some kind of random stain on them.

Garden Bench RestorationTo prepare the sides, Kelli and I removed all the rust from them by spraying them down with a hose and then going to town with sandpaper and a wire brush. Finally, Kelli sprayed painted them with a flat black Rustoleum paint.They looked brand new when we were done!

To sum up my work on the wooden planks: I used my electric sander on all 4 sides of the 13 pieces of wood.  From watching DIY shows I learned that this helps open up the pores in the wood which allows it to soak up more stain.  It also makes the grain of the wood pop.

Garden Bench RestorationMy next step was to stain the wood.   I actually really liked this part of the project because of two things.  The first thing was that I love the color of stain and what it does to the look of wood projects.  The second was that I was able to combine a couple left over cans of stain from our basement and create my own custom color.  This also allowed us to get rid of some of the cans that only have a little bit left.

I put two coats of the stain on the wood and then let it sit for a day or two just to make sure they were dry. And then I sealed the wood with Polycrylic for a nice finish.

Garden Bench RestorationOnce that was dry, I moved on to putting the pieces together.  I went to the hardware store and bought roughly 40 stainless steel bolts to attach the wood to the garden bench sides.

And TA-DA!!  Here was the final product.

Garden Bench RestorationAfter everything was said and done, I only bought the nuts and bolts for $5!

We now have this beautiful bench for almost no cost to us other than some know-how and labor.

Do you have any cool projects that you’ve been working on?  Tell us about them!

Also, don’t forget to Like us on Facebook or subscribe to the us on the website. Those are the two easiest ways to see if we have posted anything new recently.  Have a good one!!

2 comments

  1. Karen-mom

    Very cool! You are an inspiration to those of us who have “junk” in our sheds to get it out and DO SOMETHING with it!

  2. mom

    Everytime I look at your blog I’m blown away with how much you’ve done to your house and yard…not to mention all the DIY projects in less than 2 years!!! Look where we would be if dad married someone like him!! You are definitely your father’s daughter and yet married to a man just as motivated! Wow!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>